Day 2 was full of wonderful island surprises as we set out on the road with minimal plans. Without extensive plans we still seemed to find some amazing places – just check out the list below!
1. First stop – breakfast! Always tough to find something vegan and/or vegetarian friendly but this was a great find! In the heart of Hilo, Conscious Culture Cafe, 110 Kaewe St.. Urbanspoon. Highly recommend – buckwheat waffle with passionfruit syrup
2. Next, heading down south, we explored Hawai’i Volcanoes National Park. Although it was a brief visit, seeing a volcano that close was quite spectacular. We checked off the 1. Steam vents, 2. Jaggar Museum with view of the crater rim, and 3. Thurston Lava Tube.
3. Starving and hoping for a vegan/vegetarian meal we were delighted to find this hidden gem – Ono Café at Volcano Garden Arts, Volcano, Hawai’i. Delicious healthy food in a very quaint and beautiful garden just below the Volcano National Park. And…vegan carrot cake for dessert?!?! Perfection.
4. Continuing our drive around the island we stumbled upon Punalu’u Beach Park, Black Sand Beach. A beautiful and unique place with a sea turtle sighting!
5. Finally to end our long day we spent the evening by the pool at Hali’i Kai Resort in Waikoloa and watched another beautiful sunset.